Friday, April 22, 2011

Nokia's Microsoft Strategy

I was disheartened by Nokia's announcement it was abandoning Symbian in favor of Microsoft's Windows Phone. I think that my N8 is a great phone and that Symbian 3.0 is a strong operating system. Too bad Nokia did not introduce it three years ago. That would have really changed things.

Nokia is betting the store on Microsoft. Maybe things are desparate enough to make such a bet. I think the company would have been better off to use Windows Phone as a hedge and continue to develop Symbian until Windows Phone proved to be the better operating system in the market place.

Going all in on Windows Phone puts Nokia in the position of being a commodity hardware vendor. It will be competing with low cost producers in Korea and China. It will be tough for Nokia to prevail.

I wish them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. I will review you comment and add it to the blog after I have found that it is appropriate for this blog.